[cryptography] Iranian Cryptography Vendors

Ethan Heilman eth3rs at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 16:28:40 EDT 2013

In the 1980's and early 1990's elements of the Iran government used Crypto
AG cipher machines (prior to that the Iraqis had compromised almost all of
Iranians military ciphers which may have triggered a switch to "industry
best practices"), Iran discovered that the Crypto AG machines were
backdoored. I would imagine that Iran has changed vendors but I've been
unable to find post-CryptoAG incident information. I'm investigating how
Iran responded to the discovery of backdoored cipher equipment and if they
still use foreign crypto vendors.

Does anyone know where I would be able to find information on what
cryptographic hardware is currently used by Islamic Republic's military and
diplomatic organizations?  What vendors they are using and what elements of
the Iranian government use foreign produced hardware?

Thanks,
Ethan