[cryptography] Here's What Law Enforcement Can Recover From A Seized iPhone

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Mar 28 23:44:39 EDT 2013

On 2013-03-29 8:23 AM, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>> I suspect Apple has the methods/processes to provide it.
> I have no more evidence than you do, but my guess is that they don't, for
> the simple reason that if they did that fact would leak out. Secret
> conspiracies (and that's what it would take) grow less plausible
> as a function of the number of people who have to be in on it.

Real secret conspiracy:  Small enough to fit around a coffee table.

Semi secret conspiracy.  Big enough to exercise substantial power,
powerful enough to say "ha ha, you must be crazy, also racist, pawn of
big oil, Nazi" whenever anything leaks out.

Looking back at the early twentieth century, we find an ample supply of
secret conspiracies which must have hundreds of thousands of people in
the know.

I could mention two rather famous ones, but this would divert the list
off topic because three people with ten sock puppets each would then
post a bunch of messages saying "ha ha, you must be crazy"