[cryptography] Here's What Law Enforcement Can Recover From A Seized iPhone

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Fri Mar 29 08:39:03 EDT 2013

Well put, Ian.  Cutting down the quoted material to
the barest minimum, this passage:

 > Take it on the chin, and get back to work.  Don't overreact by promising
 > ludicrous things like "it'll never happen again" or lopping off heads
 > just to satiate the media.

can, at least, be demonstrated in so many realms of
endeavor besides ours here.  My unfavorite example
is well summed up in the URL below, though its subject
matter is not cryptography and thus orthogonal to that
extent.  It is, however, a sterling rendition of your
comment above.  Sterling.

http://hanson.gmu.edu/innovations.pdf
The Policy Analysis Market: A Thwarted Experiment in the Use of
Prediction Markets for Public Policy, Innovations 2(3):73-88, 2007.

--dan