[cryptography] Here's What Law Enforcement Can Recover From A Seized iPhone

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 08:48:38 EDT 2013

On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:

> btw as to coolness, I think Apple is much more evil thank microsoft - walled
> gardens, suing competitors over frivolous and abusive patent claims,
> excessive secrecy, clear conflict of interest app removals, abuse of DRM for
> device lock down, none of this is cool to me.  Cool to me is open and under
> MY control.
+1.

I still remember when Microsoft provided a financial incentive for
including its browser on a new PC's desktop. That got them sued for
anti-trust.

Using private APIs will get you rejected from an application store.
But companies like Microsoft and Apple will use those private APIs to
ensure you only get to see their ads and warez (Zune, iTunes, etc).
How is that not anti-competitive?

You are also stuck with their cloud storage solutions. You can't even
remove it if you don't want it. Lost you phone or device? You might
have to have that cloud account to find it... How is that not
anti-competive?

Want to actually use and sync your device? You have to have a
particular account. Want to use GPS for weather? You have to agree to
turn over your data to the OEM or vendor. How is that not
anti-competivie?

Want the latests security patches? You have to have a particular email
account so you can be fed advertisements. And you have to agree to all
those obscene terms of service. How is that not anti-competivie?

All of this stinks to high heaven, and consumers and developers really
need the FTC or DoJ to step in here. There's a very dark side to being
cool.

Jeff