[cryptography] Entropy improvement: haveged + rngd together?

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Thu Nov 28 09:36:59 EST 2013

Greetings,

following the answer on thread on the HAVEGE algorithm as an additional
entropy source, at GlobaLeaks Project we are evaluating whenever not to
add also "rngd" that's said to be able to use other "hardware entropy
source" chipset ( Intel/AMD/VIA), available on the motherboard (Target
OS: Linux)

I'd like to ask a couple of questions:
- Will "haveged" and "rngd" works well together in additionally feeding
the entropy pool, or they will conflict somehow?
- Isn't Linux Kernel already using the internal cryptographic chip on
it's own, if available?

The GlobaLeaks target is to avoid requiring any additional hardware to
maintain the deployment process simple and the technical requirements
cheap, so we're not focusing on external entropy source.

That entropy improvement is going to be used for the already existing
PGP operations done on files.

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights