[cryptography] replacing passwords with keys is not so hard (Re: PBKDF2 + current GPU or ASIC farms = game over for passwords)

Jonathan Thornburg jthorn at astro.indiana.edu
Tue Oct 1 16:28:01 EDT 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Adam Back wrote:
> The point is rather to switch to keys.  I was resisting referencing it (as
> its impolite to point at your own designs with commercial backing (*)) but I
> guess it needs spelling out that yes you can do this, and yes it can be easy
> to use and secure.  Check out oneid.com.  [[...]]
>
> Its easy to use, just read the transaction confirmation on your smart phone
> and click a button, thats the user experience.  [[...]]

How do I use this if I'm somewhere with no cellphone reception?

How do I use this if my cellphone just broke down?

How do I use this I've I've just landed in (say) Ireland and discovered
that my I-thought-it-was-unlocked cellphone is in fact locked to a Canadian
carrier and will only make emergency calls.  (This happened to me a few
months ago.  Even a locally-bought-in-Ireland simcard didn't work in
that phone.)

ciao,

--
-- "Jonathan Thornburg [remove -animal to reply]" <jthorn at astro.indiana-zebra.edu>
   Dept of Astronomy & IUCSS, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, USA