[cryptography] the spell is broken

coderman coderman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 15:26:29 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 10:38 AM, Jared Hunter <feralchimp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Aside from the curve change (and even there), this strikes me as a marketing message rather than an important technical choice. The message is "we react to a deeper class of threat than our users understand."

it is simpler than that.  to signal integrity, and provide assurance,
it is common not just to avoid impropriety, but to avoid the
_appearance_ of impropriety.

this change, while not materially affecting security (the weakest link
in SilentCircle was never the crypto) succeeds in conveying the
message of integrity as paramount.

so yes, a marketing message, but a simple one. i have no problem with
this as long as they're not implying that AES or SHA-2 are broken in
some respect.