[cryptography] A question about public keys

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Oct 3 18:39:08 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-04 03:45, Adam Back wrote:
> Is it just me or could we better replace NIST by DJB ? ;)  He can do
> that EC
> crypto, and do constant time coding (nacl), and non-hackable mail servers
> (qmail), and worst-time databases (cdb).  Most people in the world
> look like
> rank amateurs or no-real-programming understanding niche-bound math geeks
> compared to DJB!

Committees are at best inherently more stupid than their most stupid
member, and are at worst also inclined to evil and madness.  Linux was
success because Linus is unelected president for life.

Let us have Jon Callas as unelected president for life of symmetric
cryptography, Bernstein as God King of public key cryptography.

Recall the long succession of Wifi debacles.  Has any committee ever
done anything good in cryptography?

IEEE 802.11 was stupid.  If NIST  was not stupid, it was because evil
was calling the shots behind the scenes, overruling the stupid.