[cryptography] [Cryptography] PGP Key Signing parties

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Oct 11 11:02:21 EDT 2013

> I am going to be interested to hear what the rest of the list says
> about this, because this definitely contradicts what has been
> presented to me as 'standard practice' for PGP use -- verifying
> identity using government issued ID, and completely ignoring personal
> knowledge.

That seems needlessly pedantic.  If your government ID is a passport
or (at least in the states where I've lived) a driver's license, a
permissible form of ID is for someone else with another ID to say that
he or she personally knows you.  Back when I first applied, if the
passport official knew you, that was all the ID you needed.