[cryptography] technical question about gpg on debian/sid

Lars Luthman mail at larsluthman.net
Tue Oct 15 11:58:40 EDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-10-15 at 11:04 -0400, Charlie Derr wrote:
> Greetings all,
> I've only been lurking here for a short while, but I've really enjoyed
> the discussions (those that I have
> understood anyway).  I run debian unstable/sid on this laptop and have
> enigmail configured with thunderbird.  I also
> have claws-email setup to use this same key (with a different email
> account). But it was pointed out to me (some
> while back) that SHA-1 may not be the best choice. Can anyone direct
> me as to how I might properly generate a new key
> using SHA-256 or SHA-512?

You don't need to generate a new key to change the hash algorithms, you
just need to edit the preferences in your key. You do this using the
--edit-key option and then using the commands showpref, pref, setpref
and updpref. They are quite arcane and not that well documented, this
mail describes how to use them:
https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-users/2002-September/015230.html

There may be easier ways in Seahorse or other GUI key managers, I
haven't checked. If you have more questions the GnuPG list is probably a
better place to send them to.

--ll