[cryptography] technical question about gpg on debian/sid

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 15 12:10:39 EDT 2013

On 2013-10-15 11:04:43 -0400 (-0400), Charlie Derr wrote:
[...]
> Can anyone direct me as to how I might properly generate a new key
> using SHA-256 or SHA-512?  My technical knowledge of encryption is
> lacking, so any advice on which is better (or if there are other
> good choices that will interoperate with gpg/pgp?) would really be
> helpful.
[...]

An aluminum foil deflector beanie is entirely optional. Some links I
usually point my communities at:

 * https://we.riseup.net/debian/openpgp-best-practices

 * https://www.riseup.net/en/howto-gpg-keys

 * https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto

Also, to bring this further onto topic, any critiques of the above
linked articles are of interest to me. I'm currently in the process
of drafting some similar recommendations for another large free
software project and am always happy to fine-tune based on current
wisdom.
--
{ PGP( 48F9961143495829 ); FINGER( fungi at cthulhu.yuggoth.org );
WWW( http://fungi.yuggoth.org/ ); IRC( fungi at irc.yuggoth.org#ccl );