[cryptography] Fwd: Which programs need good random values when a system first boots?

Peter Maxwell peter at allicient.co.uk
Sun Oct 20 11:52:01 EDT 2013

​(sorry, I'll try sending to the list this time... gmail seems to default
reply to the individual)​

​

On 20 October 2013 16:25, Paul Hoffman <paul.hoffman at vpnc.org> wrote:

> Greetings again. The recent discussion seems to have veered towards having
> enough good random bits to create long-lived keys the first time that a
> system boots up. Which programs need this? sshd is at the top of the list;
> are there others?

​​Filesystem encryption, e.g. GELI on FreeBSD,
​is what immediately comes to mind: ​
you normally set that up right when you've just installed a fresh system,
it needs fairly reasonable key lengths and you'd expect to be using those
keys for a quite long time.

​