[cryptography] Backdoors in software

john espiro john_espiro at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 9 13:56:56 EDT 2013

Thanks for the info... I found the document that goes to what you say at: http://cryptome.org/2013/09/computer-forensics-2013.pdf

And while we are on the subject of backdoors, what's the though on Winmagic's SecureDoc?  Bruce has a testimonial on it at: https://www.winmagic.com/corporate/testimonials

That being said, it's closed source, so there's no way to look into it at all.  And Bruce apparently reviewed it years and versions ago.  It's also a Canadian firm, but the State Department uses it.  I've got it installed on one of my machines - mainly because I bought a copy a long time ago, and the key stays off the machine and because I've had more than one TrueCrypt encrypted drive get corrupted.  But now I am thinking that this isn't a program to trust, simply because of the obvious, along with new revelations.

Now, they are a Canad-based company and as such, probably couldn't be served with an NSL, but who knows how that works, especially with the clout that the US has over it.

Thoughts?

John