[cryptography] motivation, research ethics & organizational criminality (Re: Forward Secrecy Extensions for OpenPGP: Is this still a good proposal?)

Peter Maxwell peter at allicient.co.uk
Sat Sep 14 18:34:58 EDT 2013

On 13 September 2013 13:10, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:

[snip]

> Psychopaths are a minority, and people on the top end of crypto/maths
> skills
> are sought after enough to easily move jobs even in a down market - so the
> "must collect pay-check" argument seems unlikely.  So I stand by my
> argument
> that they probably scored an own goal on the retention and motivation
> front. I think for the majority of people - they wont like to go to work,
> or will
> feel demotivated, feeling the world is sneering at their employer as a
> quasi-criminal org.

Listening into phone calls or reading emails in the name of "fighting
terrorism" is likely to have a much lower moral barrier than, say, building
cruise missiles or nuclear weapons that could potentially kill millions of
people.  Our respective governments managed to convince some very brilliant
scientists to do the later, I'm sure they can do the former with
significant ease - with or without the recent revelations.