[cryptography] Asynchronous forward secrecy encryption

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Mon Sep 16 09:51:43 EDT 2013

Well aside from the PGP PFS draft that you found (which I am one of the
co-authors of) I also had before that in 1998 observed that any IBE system
can be used to make a non-interactively forware secret system.

http://www.cypherspace.org/adam/nifs/

There were prior IBE systems (with expensive setup and weak security margin
where you had to compute a 512-bit discrete log during to setup to gain
1024-bit security in the cse of Maurer & Yacobi's [1]), however that IBE ->
NIFS approach become efficient with Boneh & Franklins 2001 Weil pairing
based IBE.

However personally I consider that to still be a bit experimental on the
experimantal sid and prefer still more conventional approaches.

However in the mean time here's another approach for you (all new AFAIK :)
Use the paillier (1999) cryptosystem to compute discrete log mod n^2.
(Knowledge of lambda(n^2) (the carmichael function of n^2) allows computing
the discrete log in paillier.) Create some relatively arbitrary set of
public keys y_i in an easily (publicly) computable sequence eg y_i=KDF(i).
Use lambda to compute x_i st y_i = h^x_i mod n^2 with "generator" h.  Delete
lambda (and p,q, e, d etc).

Now encryption is (randomized) Elgamal using y_i, h and x_i during epoch i.
Or for message i (if you stash a big load of public keys on an auxilliary
server for senders to take).  Should be pretty easy to implement.

discrete log of y = h^x mod n^2 is computed with l = lamda:

define log(y,h) {
   return (modexp(y,l,n^2)-1)/n * modinv((modexp(h,l,n^2)-1)/n,n)%n;
}

(in bc syntax).

or x = (y^l-1 mod n^2)|n / (h^l-1 mod n^2) mod n

where | is literally divided by (no modulus) and / is multiple my modular
inverse mod n.  n is an RSA modulus.

Adam

[1] Nov 1996 - U M Maurer and Y Yacobi - "A Non-interactive Public-Key
Distribution System", Designs, Codes and Cryptography vol 9 no. 3 pp 305-316