[cryptography] The Compromised Internet

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Sep 27 09:35:11 EDT 2013

On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 08:12:16PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:

> The US only applies to itself. Further, over the air, it's noise, the crypto
> is undetectable and unprovable. And it's (guerilla) software, not physical
> commercial product. Nor is this the old 'FCC says you can't encrypt
> ham bands' argument/tech.

I don't see how a ham running a repeater backbone can
prevent end to end encryption other than sniffing for
traffic and actively disrupting it. I'm not sure tampering
with transport is within ham ethics, though they definitely
don't understand the actual uses for encryption, at
least the old hands (are there even new hands?).

Not a ham nor IANAL, so this is speculation.