[cryptography] Question About Best Practices for Personal File Encryption

Mark Thomas mark00thomas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 00:05:48 EDT 2014

I have a question for the group, if I may ask it here and in this manner (?).

What are you guys using to encrypt individual files and folders or even entire drives like a USB?

I am thinking that:

1. any commercial product could be compromised and not completely secure. Like Apple’s FileVault2, which Apple has a key to.

2. It is probably open source.

3. It is probably implemented with the command line.

Am I on the right track? If so does anyone know of a helpful guide to get started with OpenSSL on the command line besides the man pages?

Regards,

Mark