[cryptography] Question About Best Practices for Personal File Encryption

Mark Thomas mark00thomas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 19:26:28 EDT 2014

We all know that a request from grieving family members or from the United States Government are answered in ways that the should only be justified for the other party (i.e.. saying “no" to the USG and “yes" to the family).

Never the less, I pose the original question again, without the Apple distractor:

What are you guys using to encrypt individual files and folders or even entire drives like a USB?

I am thinking that:

1. Any commercial product could be compromised and is possibly not completely secure.

2. It is probably open source.

3. It is probably implemented with the command line.

Am I on the right track? If so does anyone know of a helpful guide to get started with OpenSSL on the command line besides the man pages?

Regards,

Mark