[cryptography] Algorithm that can be *least* optimized on CPUs?

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Sun Aug 31 14:53:51 EDT 2014

Greetings. I want to use "openssl speed" as a very loose proxy for "how fast is this CPU right now". (Note the use of the word "very" there.) I also want to test systems that are running in VMs. However, if I'm comparing across CPU families, OpenSSL might have some optimizations for some algorithms (like AES) that work better or worse depending on the features of the CPU.

If I were to pick one algorithm that is least likely to be optimized past normal C optimization, which would it be?

--Paul Hoffman