[cryptography] First public DNSChain server went online yesterday!

Eric Mill eric at konklone.com
Sat Feb 8 16:18:53 EST 2014

I just want to be clear on my understanding here. This provides a way to
register a .dns or .bit domain, and store your registration of that domain
in a blockchain.

Then, to guarantee authenticity, you can store a fingerprint of an SSL cert
in the blockchain, so that anyone can verify that the person who registered
this domain also created this cert.

Some questions, though the first two may just be about Namecoin:

* If you lose your "wallet" for your name, is the domain forever and truly
inert?
* Can you transfer your domain to someone else?
* How do you prevent an attacker from intercepting and modifying your
connection to the blockchain itself? What's the security model there?

I also have a non-trivial suggestion, which is to use JavaScript instead of
CoffeeScript. Regardless of the merits of the language, it will discourage
participation from Node/JavaScript developers who do not use/know
CoffeeScript well (like myself).

Overall I'm **super** excited about Namecoin and DNSChain, and I've been
waiting for someone to connect them through traditional DNS. This is such
valuable work, thank you for being a pioneer on this.

-- Eric

konklone.com | @konklone <https://twitter.com/konklone>