[cryptography] First public DNSChain server went online yesterday!

Greg greg at kinostudios.com
Sat Feb 8 20:39:39 EST 2014

One more thought:

Let's take the case where you already have a portion of the blockchain downloaded.

Let's say that at time A you had a complete copy of it.

At time B > A, the NSA decides to not like you and encloses your DNSChain server in a Matrix (I bet they'll even use that term).

Bitcoin itself already has some signature checking for transactions and blocks. The NSA won't be able to convince your server that your friend "id/jon" is someone else. His records can only be modified by himself, because he holds the private key with which he signs his transactions.

They would only be able to censor new information, and feed you false data about things that didn't exist after time B.

So, in this way, new nodes are protected by obscurity, and old nodes are protected by a good memory. ;-)

Censorship is a problem that DNSChain doesn't tackle directly. It tackles authentication.

Cheers,
Greg