[cryptography] How big a speedup through storage?

Lodewijk andré de la porte l at odewijk.nl
Thu Jun 19 23:42:29 EDT 2014

With common algorithms, how much would a LOT of storage help? I know this
one organization that seems to be building an omnious observation storage
facility, even though omnious observation has very mixed effectiveness
(read: not really worth it), and I'm wondering; is the NSA planning on
using it to assist breaking the vital data?

I'm not sure distributed processing and huge datastorage has been as fully
evaluated as computational finding has been.

It's conspiracy thinking, of course, but it seems so strange to me that
they let us know what they're building the facility for. Maybe it's
something stranger? Something they needed a huge cover for? Something they
could cover given circumstances?