[cryptography] How big a speedup through storage?

Steve Kinney admin at pilobilus.net
Tue Jun 24 23:26:29 EDT 2014

> Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 03:10:58 -0400
> From: grarpamp <grarpamp at gmail.com>
> To: Crypto discussion list <cryptography at randombit.net>
> Cc: cypherpunks at cpunks.org, cryptography <cryptography at metzdowd.com>
> Subject: Re: [cryptography] How big a speedup through storage?

[...]

> I meant as answer 'estimates on how big' question. Take what we know
> about storage, figure in some good efficiencies for the 'storage only' case.
> And figure what can be bought and operated year on year per foot. You could
> hide/support $1B + $1B/year but $10B/yr would be hard given entire intel
> budget is $80B, or $50+B if you drop mil. So...
>
> 1) How big can you get within budget?
> 2) What can you do with it re: a) crypto, or b) otherwise?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_intelligence_budget
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Intelligence_Community
> http://www.martingrandjean.ch/data-visualization-top-secret-us-intelligence-budget/

In re the Bluffdale facility, it has about 100,000 square feet of
actual data warehouse, and is equipped to support a 65 megawatt
power demand and uses 1.7 million gallons of water per day for
cooling.  This gives a baseline for estimating the power density and
processing capacity of the largest (known) U.S. TLA data center.  An
open question:  Is all that space for long term storage enabling
retroactive surveillance of future enemies of the State, or is some
portion of its capacity dedicated to cryptography?

http://www.wired.com/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1