[cryptography] Michael Haydon on the NSA spying -- blackberries

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:44:25 EDT 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
> http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/spiegel-interview-with-former-nsa-director-michael-hayden-a-960389-druck.html
>

> In 2008, when President Obama was elected, he had a BlackBerry. We
> thought, oh God, get rid of it. He said, "No, I am going to keep it." So
> we did some stuff to it to make it a little more secure. We're telling
> the guy who was going to soon be the most powerful man in the most
> powerful country on Earth that if in his national capital he uses his
> cell phone, his BlackBerry, countless number of foreign intelligence
> services are going to listen to his phone calls and read his e-mails.
> It's just the way it is.
Yeah, but the NSA got even by breaking into Vodafone and repurposing
the lawful-intercept gear to spy on world leaders. [0]

The NSA was not caught until they tried to upgrade their malware. The
upgrade caused text message problems. The service problems caused the
engineers to investigate, which uncovered the malware.

Jeff

[0] See the first ten minutes or so of "Wired Planet" at
http://www.smithsonianchannel.com/sc/web/series/707/system-crash.