[cryptography] Extended Random is extended to whom, exactly?

Stephen Farrell stephen.farrell at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Mar 31 13:45:31 EDT 2014

There's a thread on the TLS list about this. [1] Essentially
there were proposals in Internet drafts to add more randomness
to the TLS exchange which the paper says (and it looks
reasonable at first glance) would have made it much easier to
exploit a known dual-ec backdoor. None of those drafts were
adopted and none became an RFC or got deployed. (Thankfully,
I guess;-)

The paper [2] also has more about exploiting dual-ec if you
know a backdoor that I've not yet read really.

S.

[1] http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/tls/current/msg11727.html
[2] http://dualec.org/