[cryptography] DES history

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Mon May 5 19:20:44 EDT 2014

On 6 May 2014 at 8:35, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2014, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > It is well known that the DES S-Boxes were specifically designed (by
> the
> > NSA, no less, back in the good ol' days) to protect against that
> attack.
>
> If I recall Schneier, the S-boxes were *modified* by the NSA, not
> designed.

More than that, the modifications *improved* the S-boxes --- they made
DES resistent to differential attacks that [AFAIK] weren't yet known in
the civilian community.  I think it was only after a few years that the
impact of their changes was understood [and that it was a good thing].

   /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA