[cryptography] [OT] any updates on shellshock?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Oct 7 10:51:31 EDT 2014

On 2014-10-07 09:07:19 +0100 (+0100), ianG wrote:
[...]
> The value of cryptography is limited by the applicability of its
> benefit to the real world.  We can probably agree that there is a
> valid science in theoretical cryptography for elegance sake and
> pedagogical purposes. But almost all traffic on this list is in
> the domain of the practical, the useful.
[...]

I merely asserted that the "any knew[sic] info on shellshock?" post
was not particularly on topic (the author would have found more
timely answers with a search engine, and there are also plenty of
mailing lists to which I also subscribe which present a more
appropriate venue and where those conversations were already taking
place). Clearly what it was good for is restarting the perennial
idiot-architect analogy meta-discussion.

I knew this guy who built a mailing list out of stone with a large
steel gate, but used straw in the mortar. Every time there was a
flamewar, the mortar was set ablaze and the list toppled over.
Clearly the money spent on the iron gate would have been better
invested in cryptocurrency.
--
Jeremy Stanley