[cryptography] What's the point of using non-NIST ECC Curves?

Derek Miller dreemkiller at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 10:51:21 EDT 2014

Like many people, I consider the seed values used to generate the NIST
Prime curves suspicious.
However, considering one of the scenarios where these curves might be
compromised (the NSA knew of weaknesses in certain curves, and engineered
the NIST Prime curves to be subject to those weaknesses), does it even make
sense to use ECC at all?
If the NIST curves are weak in a way that we don't understand, this means
that ECC has properties that we don't understand.
Thus, if you don't trust the NIST Prime curves, does it make sense to trust
any ECC curves at all?

I appreciate your responses,