[cryptography] Introducing SC4 -- feedback appreciated

zaki at manian.org zaki at manian.org
Fri Apr 17 14:26:55 EDT 2015

At some level, this is in the same conceptual space as Peerio / Minilock.

The primary notable difference I see is you have used a binary format for
keys and messages.

Minilock uses a compressed curve25519 point without any metadata as public
key. This is more compact than your format. It'sBase58 encoded it is
tweetable which is very nice.

Minilock uses JSON for the message format rather than a binary format. I
also really like using a protocol buffers for message formats which is what
TextSecure does.

It looks like your key portability strategy is for users to manage their
keys directly as file they provide to instances. Peerio has switched to
providing users with a wordlist from which the private key can be derived
through a KDF for portability.

Text Secure
<https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.thoughtcrime.securesms&hl=en>:
+1650-862-5992