[cryptography] PGP word list

ianG iang at iang.org
Thu Feb 19 05:04:40 EST 2015

On 18/02/2015 14:56 pm, Tom Ritter wrote:
> On 18 February 2015 at 06:20, ianG <iang at iang.org> wrote:
>> Wow.  I never even knew that existed!
>>
>> Is there any experience of of the word list in use?  Any research?
>>
>> On the face of it, it would make things a lot easier for ordinary people to
>> share that hex stuff when doing known key exchanges.
>>
>> An observation:  calling it the PGP word list is just boring.  It needs an
>> exciting name that gets people looking it up out of curiosity.
>
> I'm not aware of anything real spectacular, the topic was discussed
> quite a bit on the messaging mailing list though.
>
> https://moderncrypto.org/mail-archive/messaging/2014/thread.html
> Specifically the threads:
> Useability of public-key fingerprints
> Short Auth Strings
> Word list for English Words
>

> We had tried to get a small usability study run in the field:
> https://github.com/tomrittervg/crypto-usability-study but it kind of
> petered out.  If anyone wanted to use that or build on it though,
> they're free to.

I just realised one barrier -- language.  It uses the English language,
and PGP might be stronger in Europe than in the anglo world.

So perhaps the wordset should be retuned to being some form of
internationalised english, words that are recognisable by a wide set of
cultures?

Things like: weekend, manyana, angst, perestroika, bollywood, ...

just a thought.