[cryptography] QODE(quick offline data encryption)

Harald Hanche-Olsen hanche at math.ntnu.no
Tue Jan 6 16:55:24 EST 2015

Kevin wrote:
 > I figured I'd start building my own open source encryption algorithm:
 > https://github.com/kjsisco/qode

If you feel overwhelmed by the sarcasm directed your way, there is a
reason for that.

Designing cryptosystems is *hard*. No, that's too mild. Is
*mindblowingly* hard. It doesn't start with code. It starts with a
mathematical description. No, even that is not true: It starts with
years and years of study.

The denisens of this list have seen a hundred cryptosystem crash and
burn. Some of them were designed by very clever people. Did I mention
that designing cryptosystems is hard? Don't even think of trying it, not
unless you have first spent a few years studying the state of the art.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I think it will save you a whole lot of grief.

– Harald