[cryptography] QODE(quick offline data encryption)

Kevin kevinsisco61784 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 13:23:26 EST 2015

On 1/6/2015 6:25 PM, John Young wrote:
> At 04:55 PM 1/6/2015, you wrote:
>
> Yes, that is the received canon of cryptosystems:
>
> 1.Sarcasm toward unqualified efforts,
>
> 2. Designing cryptosysystems is *hard*.
>
> 3. No, that's too mild, it's mindblowingly* hard.
>
> 4. It doesn't start with code, it strts with mathematical description.
>
> 5. No, even that is not true, it starts with years of study.
>
> 6. Denizens of this list have seen a hundred cryptosystems crash and
> burn.
>
> 7. Some of them designed by very clever people.
>
> 8. Designing crytposystems is hard.
>
> 9. Don't even think of trying it, not unless a fewyears spent studying
> the state of the art.
>
> 10. Sorry to be blunt.
>
> Not to mention how often thclaims are made despite thier sounding like
> alchemy and astrology, cultish, religious, authoritarian, scientistic,
> recruitment
> for arcane pursuit of unsolvable mysteries, and hardly applicable to
> the long
> and varied history of cryptology suffused with bizarre claims,
> subterfuge,
> deception, betrayal, treachery, obligatory prevarication, inherent
> cheating,
> diabolical misrepresentation of trustworthiness, venomous accusations
> against competitors, unrestrained dupery and duplicity against the
> unwary,
> citizen and royalty alike.
>
> Nor that mathematics is a modern innovation in cryptology and remains
> its weakest element due to inability of its applicators to wed it to code
> and hardware without recourse to alchemy and astrology favored by
> promoters, sales and PhDs who dream of math as golden key to natsec.
>
> QODE, QED.
>
>> Kevin wrote: > I figured I'd start building my own open source
>> encryption algorithm: > https://github.com/kjsisco/qode If you feel
>> overwhelmed by the sarcasm directed your way, there is a reason for
>> that. Designing cryptosystems is *hard*. No, that's too mild. Is
>> *mindblowingly* hard. It doesn't start with code. It starts with a
>> mathematical description. No, even that is not true: It starts with
>> years and years of study. The denisens of this list have seen a
>> hundred cryptosystem crash and burn. Some of them were designed by
>> very clever people. Did I mention that designing cryptosystems is
>> hard? Don't even think of trying it, not unless you have first spent
>> a few years studying the state of the art. Sorry to be so blunt, but
>> I think it will save you a whole lot of grief. – Harald
I agree with most of what you have said but I take issue with your one
point:
"don't ever think of trying it..."  I know I'm paraphrasing that but
even thinking that discourages people from bothering to secure
anything.  Not to sound like a crybaby but that's counter productive.
It's just as counterproductive as giving everyone a pat on the back just
for the sake of boosting morale, however.

--
Kevin

---