[cryptography] QODE

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Thu Jan 8 04:27:05 EST 2015

On 7 Jan 2015 16:57 -1000, from yozons at gmail.com (Open eSignForms):
> But if you are not a high value target, your crypto may
> provide adequate security as there's unlikely a cabal who will
> invest the resources to attempt to crack it.  Life is short and
> freedom to explore is your right!

You mean like how the NSA is alleged to store _all_ encountered
cryptotext _indefinitely_, _just in case_ they are able to decrypt it
later?

The specific value of a target is relative as well as bound to change
over time, possibly abruptly. If someone wants to target you, they
will; it does not matter whether _you_ believe you are worthy of being
targetted. Consider _for example_ [1], [2], [3], [4].

The way a bottle of snake oil helps against snakes is that you hit the
snake very hard over the head with the bottle. That does not mean that
snake oil is an effective way to get rid of snakes.

[1] https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

[2] https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/03/12/nsa-plans-infect-millions-computers-malware/

[3] https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/05/19/data-pirates-caribbean-nsa-recording-every-cell-phone-call-bahamas/

[4] https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/07/14/manipulating-online-polls-ways-british-spies-seek-control-internet/