[cryptography] How far are we from quantum cryptography?

Watson Ladd watsonbladd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 00:34:13 EST 2015

On Sun, Jan 25, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Ron Garret <ron at flownet.com> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2015, at 9:17 PM, Ryan Carboni <ryacko at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Actually D-wave supposedly managed 512-Qubits.
>
> Yes, but they’re not all mutually entangled.  Each qubit only communicates with six others.  (Even that is pretty impressive though.)

No, D-wave didn't make a quantum computer capable of running Shor's
algorithm. It's unclear if D-wave's device even works, and there are
certain theoretical reasons to suspect it didn't.

See http://www.scottaaronson.com/blog/?p=1400 for actual people who
know things saying things.

> rg

-- Benjamin Franklin