[cryptography] Javascript Password Hashing: Scrypt with WebCrypto API?

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) - lists lists at infosecurity.ch
Wed Mar 11 06:53:35 EDT 2015

Hi all,

at GlobaLeaks we're undergoing implementation of client-side encryption
with server-side storage of PGP Private keys.

Obviously the hashing to be used for storing such PGP private keys has
to be strong enough, with valuable key-stretching approach.

We're now considering using Scrypt with some finely tuned parameters,
but we've concern regarding it's performance in the browser as a JS
implementation.

PBKDF2 is available from WebCrypto API and, as far as i read and
understand but i'm not that low-level-crypto expert, is used internally
to scrypt.

Does anyone know of any scrypt implementation that try to leverage the
WebCrypto API?

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights