[cryptography] Unbreakable crypto?

Lee ler762 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 23:24:13 EDT 2015

On 3/21/15, Jeffrey Goldberg <jeffrey at goldmark.org> wrote:
> [Apologies for quoting badly]
>
> No!  A thousand times no.
>
> (1) the file isn't secret

But the fact that I'm using it as my one-time pad is.  Why isn't that
good enough?

> (2) the file isn't random.

Right.  An ISO file is a bad choice - too many zeros & machine code
isn't very random.  But what about something like an MP3, OGV or some
other compressed file?

> I'm sorry to pick on you, but you've illustrated a point I tried to make
> earlier. The OTP is a simple idea that is remarkably easy for people to
> misunderstand.

It doesn't feel like you're picking on me - I appreciate the feedback :)

Best Regards,
Lee