[cryptography] Unbreakable crypto?

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sun Mar 22 10:48:46 EDT 2015

On 22 Mar 2015 09:36 -0500, from jeffrey at goldmark.org (Jeffrey Goldberg):
> There are good crypto systems in use which generate pseudo-random
> pads from keys that are 128 (or 256) bits in length. But these are
> – at best – no better than the length of their keys.

Which is, admittedly, _quite good enough_ for almost any _practical_
purpose that an individual is likely to face.

Nobody (to within experimental error) is going to successfully brute
force your truly-random AES-256 key that was used to protect the 10
MiB archive containing your Evil Overlord Plans for World Domination.
But it's a _lot_ easier to keep secret a 32-byte key than a 10 MiB
pad, and it is a lot easier to generate 256 truly-random bits than ~80
_million_ truly-random bits. If they want access to the data, they are
going to do it differently. Compare https://xkcd.com/538/

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se
OpenPGP B501AC6429EF4514 https://michael.kjorling.se/public-keys/pgp