[cryptography] Paris Attacks Blamed on Strong Cryptography and Edward Snowden

Givon Zirkind givonne at gmx.com
Fri Nov 20 09:11:18 EST 2015

yeah, crypto is not the path to riches.

Brown, in his famous survey on maps said about alchemy, 'If one could
figure out how to turn lead into gold, what would that achieve?  It
would cheapen the price of gold.  Only a gov't / prince / king could use
it.  If a commoner did it, he'd either be killed or kidnapped to do it
for someone else.  So, why figure out how to turn lead into gold?'

I think in a certain measure, that applies to crypto too.  The best is
in the hands of the gov't for a reason.  They need it.  If we never
shared secrets, we would never have trust.  Society would break down.
It is not cost effective for the average person, even in a lot of
business situations.  And, if you make crypto that good, the gov't, your
own or an enemy gov't or; the mob, will come after you to coerce you to
work for them.  Money you will not make.

my 2c

don't remember Phil Zimmerman saying that.  not in his book on PGP for sure.