[cryptography] Kernel space vs userspace RNG

Krisztián Pintér pinterkr at gmail.com
Fri May 13 04:43:23 EDT 2016

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 10:19 AM, Luca Testoni <info at lucatestoni.it> wrote:
> Not only time but initial conditions too.
> The result of a chaotic system is strongly dependent on intial
> conditions too.

okay, let me rephrase, because i was not very clear. what i tried to
say is: if we assume a precision with which we can possibly measure
the initial conditions, then there is a time interval after which the
system is in total uncertainty. this time interval is dependent on the
initial precision, and the system itself.

once i heard a claim, not confirmed, just a fun factoid, that weather
has 20 days of "memory". that is, if the initial conditions change on
molecular level, which is clearly unmeasurable, 20 days later the
weather is totally different. that is quite literally the butterfly
effect. if we were to use the weather as an entropy source, we should
sample it every 20 days. the data will be true random. except, of
course, the weather is public, but that aside.