[cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Kernel space vs userspace RNG

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 16 23:16:56 EDT 2016

The Doctor <drwho at virtadpt.net> writes:

>It took me an afternoon to write some Python to measure the times in between
>particles hitting the tube, hash them, and cat them into /dev/urandom.

Problem is that in a standard environment you're getting very little input,
maybe 10-15 counts per minute.  If you need entropy in a hurry, you're in for
a long wait.

A geiger counter is really a whiteboard-only source of entropy, it's a nice
textbook example but not really practical for real-world use.

Peter.