[cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Kernel space vs userspace RNG

Jaromil jaromil at dyne.org
Tue May 17 05:29:36 EDT 2016

On Tue, 17 May 2016, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> The Doctor <drwho at virtadpt.net> writes:
>
> >It took me an afternoon to write some Python to measure the times in between
> >particles hitting the tube, hash them, and cat them into /dev/urandom.
>
> A geiger counter is really a whiteboard-only source of entropy, it's a nice
> textbook example but not really practical for real-world use.

how about a lavalamp :^)

in a remote slashdot thread from 15yrs ago
https://slashdot.org/story/01/01/26/1617217/the-ascii-cam

"actually, I read about a group who was doing just that (in some old
issue of wired, I think). they used a bank of video cameras set up in
front of lava lamps (good for random input) then hashed the video
feeds into a string of nice random noise. "
https://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=10189&cid=479517

back then I got a private email from someone at Sun confirming they
were using hasciicam on lavalamps and sharing read-only text dumps via
NFS. Not sure this was in Portland, but I'm quite sure this is the
dream of the 90's :^D

ciao

--
Denis Roio aka Jaromil   http://Dyne.org think &do tank
  CTO and co-founder      free/open source developers