[cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Kernel space vs userspace RNG

Stephen Mason stephenmason at stephenmason.eu
Tue May 17 08:58:11 EDT 2016

Dear Krisztián Pintér,

I have picked up your comment: 'random is too important to trust the
recording software and device drivers with it.'

This to me your observation is very important. I am a lawyer with no
technical knowledge, other than I used to be in bomb disposal in the British
army in the 1970s, hence my nome de plume with 'felix'
http://www.stephenmason.eu/?page_id=38 - see also http://www.ammotechs.org/

To explain: in England & Wales, there is a legal presumption that computers
are reliable (although many judges across the world think this anyway, which
is dangerous - do you agree? -i.e. USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc,
etc)!!

I wrote a new chapter for the second edition of my book on this particular
issue, up-dating it for the third edition. I am presently further updating
the chapter for the fourth edition: http://www.stephenmason.eu/?page_id=33 -
by the way, the 4th edition will be a free PDF download sometime next year.

Can anybody help me? I'd really appreciate information - such as books and
articles that help me expand my argument to the judges and lawyers [even if
they do not listen to me]. This is important. I have tried, but failed so
far: see the first report http://ials.sas.ac.uk/news/IALS_Think_Tank.htm

Sincerely,
Stephen Mason

The draft text of a proposed Convention on Electronic Evidence is available
here: http://conventiononelectronicevidence.org/.  The drafting phase will
close at the end of September 2016, and the Convention will be published in
the Digital Evidence and Electronic Signature Law Review in the autumn of
2016. Tell others and join in - help make it a useful document!

http://www.stephenmason.eu

Editor, Digital Evidence and Electronic Signature Law Review
http://journals.sas.ac.uk/deeslr/