[cryptography] [FORGED] Re: Kernel space vs userspace RNG

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu May 19 10:45:26 EDT 2016

The Doctor <drwho at virtadpt.net> writes:

>I was getting roughly twice that - 15-30 counts per minute.  The hardware was
>set up for alpha and beta particles, so it got a decent amount of background
>radiation.

The counter you linked to looked like it was using a cheap M4011 tube (Chinese
equivalent of the ubiquitous Russian SBM-20), which means it wouldn't detect
alpha, only beta and gamma.  A reading of 15-30cpm is pretty high, presumably
you're in an area with higher background radiation?

>Maybe not in a data center, but for my purposes it was an interesting
>exercise

How long did you run it for?  Another issue is that keeping a pile of
components energised at 400-600V 24/7 probably isn't optimal in terms of both
power consumption and component life.

Peter.