[cryptography] the Zcash Open Source Miner Challenge (and about Zcash in general)

Peter Todd pete at petertodd.org
Tue Oct 11 12:06:51 EDT 2016

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 03:34:33PM -0000, stenski at nymphet.paranoici.org wrote:
> Zooko Wilcox-OHearn <zooko at leastauthority.com> writes:
>
> > https://z.cash ... There's a lot going on there. ... Jump in!
>
> I want to jump in but I can't because z.cash has no mailing list.  A
> mailing list is needed because it allows participation by individuals
> for whom any low-latency Internet access, such as posting to the web,
> would allow them to be located and brought under political
> subjugation.  Their Internet utterances can only be by way of
> anonymizing remailers having long random latency and traffic mixing.

Additionally, mailing lists have robust infrastructure available for archiving
them by third-parties. This is important both to ensure that the historical
development record remains available, and to ensure that record is secure from
tampering.

Note how the Bitcoin Core project moved its mailing lists to the Linux
Foundation in part to ensure that discussion was happening on a forum whose
operators were unrelated to Bitcoin Core itself. Similarly day-to-day IRC
development chat happens on Freenode, again run by people distinct from Bitcoin
Core itself. I personally decided to stop posting new technical content on
bitcointalk and instead post it on the Bitcoin development mailing list years
ago for precisely these reasons.

I would strongly suggest that https://forum.z.cash/ be closed and replaced by a
mailing list. Warren Togami could help get it hosted by the Linux Foundation as
well if the Zcash project is interested in that hosting option.